Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Try This Fly for Early Winter Hatchery Steelhead



Mass Effect Egg Pattern

            Now let me preface this by saying that I love to swing flies for steelhead.  I log most of my river hours during the winter with a spey rod in hand, and spend even more hours back home at the vise dreaming up various big, wiggly steelhead bugs to throw in the ditch.  BUT, and it’s a BIG but… I also like to dead drift nymphs under indicators, and by nymphs I mean eggs, and by eggs a lot of times I mean beads.  BUT, fishing beads is boring and unimaginative, and I like to add a little personal touch to my sport, which DOES NOT, by the way mean painting the beads, although I’ve been known to do that too on occasion.  However, I do enjoy concocting a dirty looking egg pattern now and again, and this one is about as dirty as it gets, plus it really works good.  

Hook: Gamakatsu C14S #4
Rear Section: Equal parts orange, chartreuse and cerise egg yarn, in that order. Tied in Glo Bug    Style.
Mid Section: Medium UV Polar Chenille Fl. Fuschia.  Palmered around hook.
Veil: Champagne egg yarn tied in sparse and folded back so it encompasses 360 degrees around hook.

That’s it!  Pretty easy right?  Pretty deadly too!  Try it in other colors… you will like!

2 comments:

Jergens said...

Bonk!

jade said...

Trout will often prefer the newer insect over those they've been eating for a while. Best Fish Finder or Fish Finder Reviews